Sunday, August 10, 2008

Death

The Grim Reaper, Heaven, Hell, The underworld, tomb, the next plane, reincarnation all these words and more lead the mind to one single thing. It is the thing that since the ancient Egypt’s to the scientists of today intrigue and confuse more than any other thing. The one thing that was decided before we were even born, the one rule that we as humans have no power over: all that lives must die. Death, a word? Yes. But also a mystery, a wonder, a terror beyond all else. We have long since explored the debt of space and we know what needs to be known of our planet, but the one thing that every man, woman and child have in common is the thing we know least off. The million dollar question is of course how YOU feel about death. Think about it for a minute and then answer the question, I don’t want to hear the answer but I think it is important to know your own feelings on this subject because I doubt you will draw the “get out of jail” free card on this one. When you know your own feeling on the matter then maybe you will start to realize what it is that makes you face death with fear, determination, satisfaction or whatever feelings describes your death and maybe even figure out how you can change that feeling if you feel the need to do so. Me? Well I would like to tell you that I had excepted my fate and would embrace the reaper with open arms when he came for me, but that is not the case. Sure if the reaper does come for me I will try to pull out a few puns on the dude because he must have a depressing job and some pissed off customers. But jokes aside: I am absolutely terrified of Death.
Genesis 3
By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return."

I don’t believe in an afterlife, we are but smart animals that live on this earth until the day comes where we are struck by death, believing that we should somehow be superior to animals and therefore get a second chance seems silly and childish to me. After that there is nothing but emptiness, that is how I see death, as the end the candle that flickers and dies never to be lit again. But what really scares me about death? It’s not the thought of never seeing friends and family again, not that there is anything wrong with them, I just think I could manage. No my problem lies in the fact that I am a hopeless romantic, I believe in an only one somewhere on the planet. I recently left a girl who was nice and kind by all means, all because I knew she wasn’t the one, and I felt terrible about being with someone I didn’t fully love. Some of my best friends are finding love these years and my brother just moved in with his girlfriend, and while this all happens I find myself looking at them from the sideline, unable to endure what I don’t go through, I hide the pain behind a smiling face. So what scares me about love? Not finding it of course.
1 Corinthians 13:13
Right now three things remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.

When we go through life some people are lucky and find love, others decides to settle with what they can get, I don’t belong to either group at the moment. I seek love by all my heart and I cannot take a woman to me if I don’t truly love her, because that would go against everything I believe in and that is something I simply cannot do. And then it ends as we die, without ever seeing that greatest of gods gifts, but what if the bible is right what if there is a life after this?
~ Samuel 1:23.
Saul and Jonathan were lovely and pleasant in their lives, and in their death they were not divided.

When we think of life after death we often think of a place of peace where we meet our loved ones, but can we meet new people in heaven? Will the lonely on earth be lonely in heaven? Or will we be able to find love in the afterlife. We will not know before the fat lady sings that much is certain, so guess if you must, speculate if you will, but try to accept that we will all die in the end.
~ 1 Corinthians 15:26
The last enemy that will be destroyed is death.

1 comment:

Thit said...

Som om livet ikke er svært nok at forstå til at begynde med.

Vi har intet valg, og jeg deler din frygt. Omend håbløst irrationel, hænger den truende over os som en sort sky, og det er svært ikke at føle sig presset af tid.

Jeg vil ikke bruge min tid på ærgrelser og bekymringer.

Men det er så let at sige.